The Best Backpacks For Nurses and Nursing Students
*This post contains affiliate links
Struggling to find the perfect nurse backpack? You’re not alone.
The thing is that finding the perfect nursing backpack to meet your needs is actually quite important.
Think about it: as a nurse, you’re always on the go. You’ve got your stethoscope, your scrubs, your pens, your notebook, your lunch (because, let’s face it, nobody wants to deal with a hangry nurse), and about a million other things to carry around with you.
And if you’re not careful, all that stuff can get heavy and uncomfortable pretty quickly. That’s where researching proper bags for nurses comes in. With the right bag, you can keep all your nursing supplies and essentials organized and easily accessible while also distributing the weight evenly across your shoulders and back. Plus, a good backpack can be stylish and even a little bit fun (because who doesn’t love a little bit of flair?).
Now, you might be thinking, “But can’t I just use any old backpack?” And sure, you could, but then you’d miss out on the joys of having a nursing-specific backpack.
These beauties are designed with your job in mind, with features like waterproof compartments (because spills happen), pockets for your ID and keys (so you don’t have to dig around), and even built-in charging ports (because, let’s be real, our phones are practically attached to us these days).
That’s why a great nurse bag is your trusty sidekick. It’s like Batman’s utility belt – but for registered nurses. Keep reading to find the best backpacks for nurses!
How We Chose the Best Nurse Backpacks
If you want to be a successful, comfortable, and well-equipped nurse, researching high-quality backpacks for nursing is key.
We’ve read through a ton of user reviews and star ratings to develop a list that makes your life easier and provides information to help you make a good decision. Choosing the perfect medical bag requires some extra considerations to ensure it meets the unique needs of a nurse.
Factors we considered include accessibility, hygiene, security, comfort, functionality, and portability. We also considered whether these nursing bags had features such as:
- A fully padded computer sleeve or laptop bag
- A zippered pouch or zippered pockets
- Hidden anti-theft pockets
- Padded shoulder straps
- A spacious main compartment
- Multiple storage compartments
- Adequate space
- Stain resistant fabric
- Waterproof fabric
From affordable options to higher price points, there is a best backpack here for you!
Etronik Lunch Backpack
Why We Love It
This durable backpack has a detachable thermal lunch bag that is constructed with easy-to-clean aluminum foil and durable Oxford cloth.
The roomy main compartment of this backpack offers reliable protection for your 15.6-inch laptop, thanks to its dedicated laptop sleeve and the main compartment bottom.
This backpack makes charging your phone on the go a breeze, thanks to the USB charging port conveniently located on its side and a built-in charging cable inside.
- Keeps meals fresh and drinks chilled while on-the-go
- Detachable thermal lunch bag with easy-to-clean aluminum foil and durable Oxford cloth
- Maintains the temperature of food for up to 3-5 hours
- Roomy main compartment for 15.6-inch computer with dedicated sleeve and bottom for reliable protection
- USB charging port conveniently located on the side for easy phone charging on-the-go
- Built-in charging cable included (power bank not included
Lovevook Laptop Backpack
Why We Love It
This backpack is both spacious and practical. With a generous 20L capacity, it boasts two roomy compartments and 18 pockets, making it effortless to organize all your school supplies and carry up to 15.6″ laptops with ease.
LOVEVOOK states they are committed to complete customer satisfaction and product confidence. They offer a no-risk purchase with 12-hour customer service, a 30-day no-reason return policy, and a 3-year quality warranty on all backpacks.
- Ample storage capacity in a multi-compartment and large open design for easy and efficient organization.
- Made from high-quality polyester material for heavy-duty and robust nature.
- Thick shoulder straps and strong handles for durability and comfort.
- No-slip zippers and reinforced seams for extra strength.
- Built-in USB charging port for phone charging on-the-go.
- Power bank is not included with the backpack.
Erihop Nurse Backpack
Why We Love It
The front compartment is a big open pouch with a media pocket, two small zipper pockets for open pouches, a media pocket, a small zip pocket, two small pockets for pen/pencil loops, two small pockets, a media pocket, and an open mesh pocket.
- Padded compartment designed for a 17.3″ computer and a padded iPad compartment in the interior
- Two open mesh side pockets for a water bottle or umbrella
- Two inner pockets with open mesh side pockets and two inner mesh pockets for pen/pencil loops
- Large zip pocket for additional storage
- Anti-theft pocket located at the rear of the bag for secure storage of important items while traveling
Why We Love It
This backpack features front mesh side pockets, a water bottle pocket, a front pocket organizer top, a front utility pocket, a pleated front stash pocket, and a zippered front stash pocket.
- Extra-large carrying and storage capacity with two main compartments and a padded computer sleeve
- Made with high-quality, durable, and recycled material.
- Sturdy web haul handle for easy carrying
- Ergonomic S-curve straps and fully padded back panel for all-day comfort
- Available in over multiple different colors, prints, and patterns
Amazon Basics Laptop Backpack
Why We Love It
This backpack is spacious enough to hold a laptop, books, and more, making it the perfect choice for busy nurses.
- Large multi-compartment design with a 17-inch padded computer sleeve
- Organizational pockets for extra scrubs, keys, cell phones, and all the things you need
- Two mesh water bottle pockets are located on either side of the backpack.
- Compact size and lightweight for easy travel, yet large enough to hold all your essentials
Kenneth Cole Reaction Women’s Chelsea 15″ Laptop Bag
Why We Love It
Crafted from a trendy chevron quilted polyester-twill material, these medical bags boast a water-resistant exterior with stylish gold-plated zippers.
The interior is lined with a tear-resistant stripe polyester material that is perfect for daily use.
- Separate padded tech pocket in the main chamber area
- Padded tablet pocket in the main laptop compartment that is compatible with most tablets
- Breathable and adjustable padded shoulder straps at the rear exterior of the backpack for maximum comfort
- Trolley strap on the back of the backpack that fits over most luggage upright handles and an easy-to-carry top grab handle
- Weighs 2.15 lbs and is compatible with most tablets and computers up to 15 inches
AMBOR Rolling Backpack
Why We Love It
The travel backpack with wheels can be converted into a backpack and has foldaway covers that act as wheel covers when used as a backpack.
- Has a main compartment with many smaller compartments, including a laptop compartment to keep your things organized.
- You can either wear it as a regular backpack or use the wheels to roll it around. The wheels have a cover so they don’t get your clothes dirty.
- The handle is strong and durable so you can roll it easily without it breaking. This backpack is great for traveling, business trips, or going to school.
- Ample storage capacity that can accommodate laptops up to 16 inches in size.
- Padded compartment to protect your electronics
- Workstation for chargers, tablets, phones, and other tech accessories
- Backpack straps can be tucked away for easy toting or switched to the soft-grip handle for rolling the backpack
- Large compartment to store scrubs, books, documents, folders, and clothes, with elastic straps to keep everything in place.
- It can be used as a rolling computer backpack or wheeled computer bag
Matein Lunch/Laptop Backpack with UPS Port
Why We Love It
This backpack keeps food warm and drinks cold for 2-4 hours. A high-quality insulation layer keeps food fresh and is easy to clean.
- The main compartment, laptop sleeve, and pocket organizer provide excellent storage capacity
- Durable zippers ensure smooth use
- A separate main storage area and dedicated computer sleeves provide full storage capacity for various items such as lunch boxes, clothes, water bottles, umbrellas, wallets, and keys
- A charging port and two interior pockets included
- Both side pockets can hold umbrellas or water bottles
- Water-resistant fabric protects your supplies from getting wet
- Shoulder straps are designed for long-time wear
FALANKO Laptop Backpack
Why We Love It
This is a large and stylish laptop backpack with a 20L volume and durable, water-resistant nylon material.
It has a wide-open design with a rectangular frame and reinforced edges, providing easy access to items at the bottom and keeping the perfect shape of the bag.
- Multiple pockets and compartments, including exterior and interior pockets, side pockets, a dedicated laptop holder
- It can hold books, iPad, Kindle, cell phone, wallet, umbrella, cosmetics, and more
- Adjustable padded wide shoulder straps and luggage straps for convenient carrying
- USB charging port on the side of the backpack with built-in charging cable (POWER BANK not included)
- Front compartment with opening magnetic flap and back zipper pocket for anti-theft features
FAQs Backpacks for Nurses
It can be hard to figure out what the best backpack is for you. With all of the different brands on the market, it is no surprise as to why.
We’ve created a guide with a few frequently asked questions to help you choose the best nurse or nursing school backpack for your needs. This guide will help you understand what to look for when deciding between the best nursing bags and tote bags for your lifestyle.
What is the best nursing backpack?
The best nursing backpack is the one that supports your needs and style. You want a backpack that is spacious enough to carry your scrubs, shoes, and nursing essentials and lightweight enough to wear to school or the hospital. Do your research, read reviews, and don’t forget to choose a design that matches your scrubs!
What do RNs have in their work bags?
Nurses are always prepared, so you can bet that their backpacks are packed with everything they need to save the day. From stethoscopes to scissors, pens, and hand sanitizers, a nurse’s backpack is a treasure trove of medical supplies.
What supplies do I need for my nursing school clinicals?
In addition to having a stethoscope and comfortable shoes, nursing students also need a penlight, a blood pressure cuff, a watch with a second hand, and a medical dictionary in their nursing school bag. Don’t forget snacks, water, and a positive attitude!
What types of bags do nurses use?
Nurses use all sorts of bags, from backpacks to tote bags and fanny packs. Each bag has its own benefits, so it really depends on personal preference.
Backpacks are great for carrying heavier items, while totes are perfect for everyday essentials. And, let’s not forget fanny packs – they may not be the most fashionable, but they’re definitely practical for quick access to medical supplies.
What To Look For When Buying Backpacks for Nurses
Great organizational ability. You need to be able to organize all your supplies like a pro, so look for a backpack that can hold your stethoscope, pens, snacks, water bottle, and whatever else you need to save the day.
Durability. You don’t want a backpack that falls apart faster than a Jenga tower during a hurricane. Look for materials that can withstand the rough and tumble life of a nurse.
A cute design. Medical students and other healthcare professionals don’t need to sacrifice style. You want a backpack that looks good and makes you feel confident, even if you’re covered in bodily fluids.
A reasonable price tag. You don’t want to blow your entire paycheck on a backpack, but you also don’t want to buy one that’s so cheap it falls apart after one use. Look for a backpack that’s reasonably priced and won’t leave you crying in the break room.
Consider rolling bags if you need something more lightweight.
Tips For Organizing
First and foremost, invest in a sturdy backpack with great support and room to carry all your scrubs, nursing accessories, and nursing gear.
Keep a stash of snacks in your bag, because you never know when your blood sugar might crash during a nursing school clinical rotation. And let’s be real, hangry nurses are a force to be reckoned with.
Keep a mini hand sanitizer bottle attached to your backpack, because germs are everywhere, and ain’t nobody got time for that.
Use a small pencil case to store all your writing utensils, because digging around in your bag for a rogue pen is a recipe for disaster.
Lastly, don’t forget to pack a sense of humor, because nursing school can be tough, but a good laugh can make all the difference.
What Supplies Should Nurses Have in Their Nursing Bags?
Nurses and students typically have a lot of equipment and supplies to carry with them in their bags on a daily basis. Here are some items that you should consider keeping with you:
- Stethoscope: This is an essential tool for any nursing student. Make sure to invest in a good-quality stethoscope that will last you throughout your nursing career.
- Penlight: A penlight is an important tool for assessing patients’ pupils and checking for any signs of neurological damage.
- Pocket Organizer: A pocket organizer can help keep all of your supplies organized in one place. This will save you time and make it easier to find what you need when you need it.
- Scissors: A good pair of medical scissors can be used for a variety of tasks, including cutting bandages and clothing in emergency situations.
- Clipboard: A clipboard can help you keep track of your patient notes, assessments, and other important information.
- Hand Sanitizer: Hand sanitizer is important for preventing the spread of germs in clinical settings.
- Water Bottle: Staying hydrated is important for your overall health and well-being. Make sure to bring a water bottle with you to nursing school and clinicals.
- Snacks: Nursing school can be demanding, and you may not always have time for a full meal. Bring some healthy snacks with you to help you power through long days.
- Textbooks: Nursing students typically have several textbooks and study guides that they’ll need to bring with them to class and clinicals.
- Notebook: Keep a notebook with you to take notes during lectures and clinicals.
Remember, this is just a basic list, and you may need to add or remove items based on your individual needs and program requirements.
Best Backpacks For Nurses Advice
So what’s the best backpack for nurses? The answer may vary from person to person, but we’ve tried to provide a variety of the best options for you to choose from based on reading thousands of reviews.
All you have to do is just tap the button to check the price of the best nursing backpacks. Thanks for stopping by!
Additional Recommended Reading: