(*Post updated on 3/8/2022. *Contains affiliate links. You can find our disclosure page here.)
It’s no secret that nurses are on their feet for up to 12-hour nursing shifts (or longer!).
This is why nurses must wear shoes that can support their intensive and often arduous nursing shifts – and keep them safe in the process.
Having an excellent nursing shoe can make all the difference in how good you feel after a long 12-hour shift. Foot pain, back pain, and achy joints are just a few of the side effects that many nurses deal with regularly.
And having the proper footwear can make all the difference in the world.
What Makes A Great Nursing Shoe?
Here are a few things your nursing shoes need to do for you as a nurse:
- Give good support
- Protect your back
- Reduce stress on joints
- Be slip resistant
- Be comfortable
- Be stylish (OK, so this one isn’t going to help you physically, but it is nice to look great in your nursing uniform!)
Wearing a non-slip-resistant nursing shoe is an occupational hazard.
Nurses frequently walk around on hard and sometimes wet surfaces, especially in the hospital setting. The floors are regularly being cleaned between patients, and there are occasional spills that can sometimes result in unintended nurse falls.
Some facilities even pay for nurses to receive a new pair of nursing shoes every six months! In turn, this helps protect nurses from injuries that could have otherwise resulted in an injury or even disability from work.
Nursing shoes must be slip-resistant. This is a non-negotiable when it comes to choosing a great nursing shoe.
I have been wearing NIKE shoes at the hospital for as long as I have been a registered nurse, and I recommend them to other nurses looking for excellent support and durability. After all, our jobs are highly physical, and we need all the help we can get!
The NIKE shoes that made this list are offered in several different colors, so if you love the style but not the shade, then find the color that suits you!
Top 10 Best Nike Shoes For Nurses
The following list of Nike shoes are supportive and can help absorb the impact of walking on hard surfaces all day. They are great shoes for nurses because they have the potential to keep nurses safer from untended injury, and to top it off, they look fabulous too.
Also, many of these styles are offered in white for nurses who prefer a more traditional nursing uniform.
When it comes to picking a great pair of nursing shoes, impact absorption, secure fit, and flexibility are fundamental aspects to consider.
The Nike Women’s Shox Enigma Sneaker is a comfortable and shock-absorbing Nike nursing shoe for anyone who spends 12+ hours a day on their feet. Brand new in 2020, these shoes also make a stylish statement.
Features of the Nike Women’s Shox Enigma Shoe:
- Synthetic and mesh
- Flexible shoes with an expandable outsole to allow your foot to move naturally
- Breathable fabric in the forefoot and internal sleeve helps keep your feet cool and comfortable.
- Supportive fit: durable, lightweight cables provide support and secure fit
- Soft, responsive Lunarlon cushioning helps absorb impact.
- Offered in several colors
This shoe is excellent for the cross-fit type of workout, which is why they also make a great nursing shoe. The Nike Women’s Free Metcon 2 Training Shoe provides a level of balance and sturdiness that many other shoes do not. They offer a stable heel and flexible forefoot, making moving in many directions much more accessible.
Features of the Nike Women’s Free Metcon 2 Training Shoe:
- A Midfoot cage locks your foot in place without restricting movement.
- Rubber wraps up the sides to help resist abrasion during rope climbs
- The foam midsole has a firmer foam carrier for comfortable cushioning where you need it and stability for heavy weightlifting.
- Deep grooves along the outsole allow the shoe to flex and expand in every direction for a lightweight feel as you train.
Many nurses say that these are the best shoes for RNs on the market. Not only are they durable and quality-made shoes, but when they finally do wear out, many nurses purchase them a second time.
These are great shoes to consider if your feet are consistently tired after being on your feet for 12+ hours a shift. As a bonus, the Nike Women’s Air Max 720 shoes are cute outside of the workplace as well. You can wear them with almost anything, from athletic wear to skinny jeans!
Features of the Nike Women’s Air Max 720:
- Nike’s tallest Air unit to date, the 720 Air unit, runs the length of the outsole.
- Molded lines in the upper appear to radiate out from the sides, creating a wavelike design.
- Rubber coverage on the outsole gives durable traction.
- Translucent rubber on the heel highlights the Air unit.
These shoes are perfect for nurses who are constantly on the move and for the gym on their days off. They offer great support, cushioning, and durability.
Nike React Infinity Run Women’s Flynit Running Shoes are designed for moving in multiple different directions, which is something nurses do all day long.
Features of the Nike React Infinity Run Women’s Flynit Running Shoes:
- Higher foam stack heights provide a softer feel. A wider shape offers a more stable ride, helping release energy with every step.
- The shape of the Nike React foam midsole is all about zonal performance, providing support for the 3 phases of a runner’s stride—flexibility at toe-off, a smooth ride at mid-stance, and cushioning at contact.
- Less material in the shoe means you’re closer to the foam, creating a softer, more responsive experience.
- Increased rubber at the outsole helps deliver traction and durability.
The Nike Women’s Revolution 5 Running Shoe is a great choice for active people, especially nurses! But the main reason this shoe made the list is that they have a zip pocket on the back to help your carry keys or money.
Nurses can wear these durable and comfortable shoes at work and for an outdoor run on their days off. And they come in 18 pretty colors to choose from.
Features of the Nike Women’s Revolution 5 Running Shoe:
- Synthetic sole
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- designed with lightweight material and a soft foam midsole, built to keep you running in comfort.
- They are built with a lightweight knit textile that wraps your foot in breathable comfort. A reinforced heel and no-sew overlays lend support and durability.
- The soft foam midsole delivers a smooth, stable ride. The textured outer wall of these women’s running shoes helps reduce weight and hide creases.
- The rubber outsole of these Nike women’s shoes offers durable traction on various surfaces. Spaces in the tread let your foot flex naturally.
- Lightweight knit, plush padding, soft foam midsole, and rubber outsole.
The Nike Women’s Air Zoom Pegasus 36 Running Shoes have great cushioning and are often worn by runners training for and running in marathons. They have great cushion and arch support without being too heavy.
Also, the cushion provides additional support for the knees and ankles. That is why these shoes are also great for nurses who often walk 15,000-20,000 steps or more in a single shift. There are over 25 other great colors to choose from.
Features of the Nike Women’s Air Zoom Pegasus 36 Running Shoes:
- The full-length Zoom Air unit provides a smooth, responsive ride.
- The slimmer design offers a sleek, comfortable, conforming fit.
- Cushlon ST foam provides firm yet responsive cushioning.
- High-resiliency sock liner adapts to your foot for support.
- Available in several colors
The waffle outsoles on the Nike Women’s Reax Run 5 Running Shoes are great for durability and multi-surface traction. This feature is beneficial for nurses who are more frequently exposed to walking over wet floors and need a more slip-resistant shoe.
These shoes made the top 10 list because of their durability, supportive fit, and floor traction.
Features of the Nike Women’s Reax Run 5 Running Shoes:
- Rubber sole
- Mesh upper, lace-up front
- Synthetic sole
- Available in several colors
The Nike Women’s Air Max Sequent Shoe is an absolute favorite NIKE shoe for nurses. Not only are they stylish, but they have a partial bootie, which gives them a more secure feel and fit. which is essential for nurses on their feet for long 12-hour shifts.
They are also lightweight and offer great cushioning – a helpful solution for achy joints and sore feet!
Features of the Nike Women’s Air Max Sequent 3 Running Shoes:
- Rubber sole
- Lightweight stretch-knit upper expands and contracts with your foot for adaptive comfort.
- Partial bootie design for a secure fit and feel
- Flywire cables deliver a secure locked-in fit
- Injected Phylon midsole for lightweight cushioning
- U-shaped Max Air unit provides responsiveness in the heel
Note: these Nike shoes are my absolute favorite! Who knew that Nike made such cute slip-resistant shoes that are also comfortable enough to move around in all day?
The Nike Women’s Air Zoom Vomero Shoes are very sturdy, durable shoes, which are exactly what the busy nurse needs. Also, the NIKE Women’s Air Zoom Vomero Shoes offer soft, plush cushioning – which can help with sore joints and tired feet.
Features of the Nike Wome’s Air Zoom Vomero 13 Running Shoe:
- Rubber sole
- Flywire cables wrap the midfoot for supportive, custom lockdown
- Plush collar for a soft, comfortable fit
- Lunarlon foam midsole for soft, plush cushioning
- Rubber outsole for durable traction
- Available in several colors
The reviews on the Nike Women’s Air Max LW Running Shoes speak volumes. Customers use phrases such as “I love these shoes,” “super comfortable,” and “I just got my second pair!”
It’s a great feeling to know you found a great nursing shoe that you can stick with over the years as a nurse. Because let’s be honest, nurses are on their feet more than any other occupation. And we need to be taking better care of our feet, joints, and backs.
These are very modern-looking shoes that make a statement for style and practicality.
Features of the Nike Womens’ Air Max LW Running Shoes:
- Crafted with a mesh upper for lightweight breathability
- Forefoot flex grooves for natural range of motion
- Durable rubber outsole for multi-surface traction
- No-sew Swoosh design trademark and eyestays for a clean look
- Visible Max Air unit provides all-day comfort
- Molded details on the heel counter for a modern look
Additional recommended reading:
- The Best Compression Socks For Nurses
- Ultimate List Of The Top 30+ Nurse Supplies and Essentials
- 9 Practical Gifts For Nurses
Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter below and receive a FREE COPY of The Nurses Guide To Self Care Ebook!
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL
Get your FREE copy of "The Nurses Guide to Self Care"